donderdag 24 februari 2022

Red Cross Blues (1933) / Red Cross Man (1933) / Red Cross Store (1934) / New Red Cross Blues (1936) / Welfare Blues (1938) / Welfare Store Blues (1941)


"Red Cross Blues" is alluding to Dr. Joseph Goldberger’s experiments on prisoners, designed to determine the dietary deficiency causing pellagra. Goldberger proposed yeast extract supplements to  combat the disease and arranged distribution via the Red Cross. 
Poor blacks felt stigmatized by handouts and found themselves, press ganged into slave labour when they queued for help at the Red Cross stations/stores


SEE Forum Weeniecampbell  SOTM June 19th - Red Cross Store

SEE ALSO  Walter Roland


The first artist to sing a protest song about the Red Cross Stores was Walter Roland. The song was later recorded by artists as diverse as Leadbelly, Forest City Joe, Sonny Boy Williamson (as "Welfare Store Blues"), Speckled Red (as "Welfare Blues") and many others. 
Although Walter Roland (as "Alabama Sam") was the first to record the blues standard "Red Cross Blues", Walter Davis was the first to register a song called "Red Cross Blues" for copyright. Its subject-matter is the only connection with Roland's song and they stand as separate songs. 
Roland's song was registered for copyright (as having been composed jointly by himself and Calaway) early in 1934.
The next master was "Red Cross Blues No 2", his record company (ARC) presumably anticipating big sales on No. 1 had him record a follow-up in advance! 
In both of these versions, Walter Roland laments the fact that he cannot go to Hill's, he would have to go the Red Cross Store instead. Hill's, according to Guido Van Rijns book "Roosevelt's Blues", was a grocery store located opposite the Red Cross Store in Birmingham, Alabama.
Lucille Bogan, who traveled with Roland from 1933 till 1935, did her "Red Cross Man" at the same session, same melody. different lyrics by Bogan. 
"Red Cross Blues" was slightly adapted from "Kokomo Blues", yet to be recorded by Kokomo Arnold but already on record by Madlyn Davis, Scrapper Blackwell, Walter Fennell and Jabo Williams, the powerful pianist from “Pratt City” (a district of north Birmingham) who was almost certainly an early influence on Roland. There was considerable interchange of material between them
Sonny Scott, who also traveled with Roland and Bogan between 1933 and 1935, also recorded two versions of "Red Cross Blues" (both lyrically different to Roland’s),


(c) Alabama Sam (=Walter Roland) (1933) (as "Red Cross Blues")
Piano Walter Roland
Recorded July 17, 1933 in New York City
Matrix 13550
Released on Banner 32822, Conqueror 8329, Melotone M-12753, Oriole 8254
Also released on Perfect 0251, Romeo 5254 and Paramount 901.





Lyrics:

Said me and my good girl talked last night, me and her talked for hours,
She wanted me to go to the Red Cross Store, and get a sack of that Red Cross flour,
I told her: “No”. Great Lord, said: “Woman I sure don’t want to go”,
Say: “I have to go to Hill’s ’cause I, got to go to that Red Cross Store”. 

Say you know them Red Cross folks there they, sure do treat you mean,
Don’t want to give you nothin’ but, two – three cans of beans,
Now I told ‘em: “No”. Great Lord girl, said: “I don’t want to go”,
I said: “You know I cannot go to Hill’s, I’m got to go yonder to that Red Cross Store”. 

But you know the governor done take it in charge now said he gon’ treat, everybody right,
He gon’ give ‘em two cans of beans now, and one little can of tripe,
Now I told ‘em: “No”. Great Lord girl, says: “I don’t want to go”,
“I think I better wait till I get a job and go to Hill’s, ’cause other than that I’ve got to go to that Red Cross Store”. 

Say you go up there early in the mornin’, said he ask you: “Boy, how you feel?”
Gettin’ ready to give you a nickel’s worth of rice and a, bag of that boultin’ meal.
Now I told him: “No”. Great Lord girl, says: “I don’t want to go”,
Says: “You know I cannot go to Hill’s, I’m got to go yonder to that Red Cross Store”. 

But you know say I got girl now says she gon’, get herself a job,
She gon’ take care of me now, while the times is hard,
And I told her: “Yes”. Great Lord, “Then I won’t have to go”,
I said: “When you get paid off we’ll go to Hill’s, I won’t have to go to that Red Cross Store”. 

But you know say a girl told me this mornin’ that she loved me ’cause I, work two days a week,
I told her I worked for the Red Cross, didn’t get nothin’ but somethin’ to eat.
She told me: “No”. Great Lord, says: “Man I don’t want to go”,
She said: “But are you is carryin’ me to Hill’s” says; I say: “I take you to that Red Cross Store”.

Listen here:




On the same day and same location Lucille Bogan recorded a version of this song, with Walter Roland accompanying her on the piano.

(c) Bessie Jackson (=Lucille Bogan) (1933) (as "Red Cross Man")
Walter Roland on piano.
Recorded July 17, 1933 in New York City
Matrix 13548
Released on Banner 33072, Melotone M-13036, Oriole 8342, Perfect 0281 and Romeo 5342.
 



Lyrics:

If anybody don't believe I've got a Red Cross man
Go out in my back yard to get my Red Cross can
Oh, baby don't you want to go, 
Go with me and my man down to the Red Cross Store

Red Cross gives my man, three days a week, 
Sack of Red Cross flour, hunk of old white meat.
Oh, baby don't you want to go, 
You can't go with my man down to the Red Cross Store

Listen here:



As I said above, on the same day and same location,Walter Roland also recorded a "Red Cross Blues No 2", this time with guitar-accompaniment.

(c) Walter Roland (1933) (as "Red Cross Blues No 2")
Recorded July 17, 1933 in New York City
Matrix 13551
Released on Banner 33121, Melotone M-13088, Oriole 8363, Perfect 0291 and Romeo 5363




Listen here:




In a span of 2 days, American country blues artis Sonny Scott, primarily noted for his association with Walter Roland and Lucille Bogan, also cut 2 versions of "Red Cross Blues"


(c) Sonny Scott (1933) (as "Red Cross Blues")
Recorded July 18, 1933 in New York City
Matrix 13572
Released on Vocalion 25012
 

Listen here:

 


(c) Sonny Scott (1933) (as "Red Cross Blues No 2")
Recorded July 20, 1933 in New York City
Matrix 13602
Released on Vocalion 02614
 

Listen here:




(c) Pete Harris (1934) (as "Red Cross Store")
Recorded May 1934 in Richmond, TX (Alan Lomax recording)



Listen here:




(c) Frank "Springback" James (1936) (as "New Red Cross Blues")
Frank James: piano / Willie Bee James: guitar
Recorded December 21, 1936 in Chicago, ILL
Released on Bluebird B-6824


Listen here:




(c) Frazier Family (1938) (as "Welfare Blues")
Calvin Frazier: vocal/guitar and Sampson Pittman: guitar
Recorded October 16, 1938 in Detroit, MI
Released on the next album:  


Listen here:




(c) Speckled Red (1938) (as "Welfare Blues")
Recorded December 17, 1938 in Aurora, ILL
Released on Bluebird B-8069




Listen here:




(c) Sonny Boy Williamson (1940) (as "Welfare Store Blues")
Recorded May 17, 1940 in Chicago, ILL
Released on Bluebird B-8610



Listen here:




(c) Huddie Leadbelly (1940) (as "The Red Cross Store Blues")
Recorded June 15, 1940 in New York City
Released on Bluebird B-8709
 


Listen here:



In fact Leadbelly had already recorded a version  (as "Red Cross Sto") for the Library of Congress in February 1935.




More versions here:






NOT TO BE CONFUSED with Walter Davis' "Red Cross Blues", which is a different song, recorded with the common AAB blues pattern

Lyrics:

The Red Cross is helping poor people who cannot help themselves (2x)
I went down there this morning, they said they wasn't helping no one else

Uncle Sam's flag is painted, painted in red, white and blue  (2x)
'cause the Red Cross won't help us, what in the world is we going to do?

I spent all my money, did not save a lousy dime  (2x)
I didn't ever think I would be worried, people, with these hard old times

So I will remember this, the longest day I live  (2x)
The Red Cross has told me they did not have nothing to give

My little children was screaming, crying "Papa we ain't go no home"  (2x)
The Red Cross has cut us off, man, and left us all alone

Listen here:



A few months later Walter Davis also recorded a "Red Cross Blues - Part2"

This was covered in 1934 by Josh White as "Welfare Blues".


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten