donderdag 24 december 2015

Kennady I-O (1830's) / Canada-I-O (1830's) / Sailor And His True Love (1954) / Canadee-I-O (1963)



"Canada-I-O" is a traditional Canadian and English folk ballad. It is believed to have been written between 1813 and 1838

When her love goes to sea, a lady dresses as a sailor and joins (his or another's) ship's crew. When she is discovered, (the crew/her lover) determine to drown her. The captain saves her and they marry.

The song first showed up (as "Kennady I-O") on a ballad-sheet dated between 1813 and 1838 and collected by Walter Newton Henry Harding in his Book Collector 11 (see Broadside Ballads Online from Bodleian Libraries)


More sheets in the Harding collection, concerning this song:









According to Frank Kidson, "Canada-I-O" is a song which first appeared during the 18th century.






In form, it is related to the Scots song "Caledonia"—versions of which were collected by Gavin Greig—although exactly which song came first is one of those ‘chicken and egg’ questions that so frequently beset folkmusic studies.










Here are some recordings:

(c) Willie McNeily (1953) (as "Canadie-I-O")

Recorded May 1953 by Seamus Ennis in Kirkcudbrightshire






(c) Togo Crawford (1954)  (as "A Sailor And His Own True Love")
Recorded July 20, 1954 by Peter Kennedy in Mossdale, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland


Listen here


or here at 9 minutes and 20 seconds in the soundfile on the next link:




(c) Robert Cinnamond (1955) (as "Canada-I-O")
Recorded and interviewed in Belfast by Sean O Boyle in 1955.
Edited by Peter Kennedy and first published on Folktrax Cassettes 1975.







(c) Harry Upton (1963) (as "Canadee-I-O")
Harry, a retired cowman, had learned "Canadee-I-O" from his father, a Downsland shepherd.
Recorded September 5, 1963 by Peter Kennedy in Balcombe, Sussex.
This recording was included in 2012 on the Topic anthology of songs by Southern English singers, "You Never Heard So Sweet (The Voice of the People Volume 21)"





Listen here:


Or here:



Another recording made by Mike Yates (with Harry Upton singing) in 1974 was included in 1975 on the Topic collection of traditional songs from Sussex, "Sussex Harvest".



Listen here:


Or here:




(c) Nic Jones (1980)  (as "Canadee-I-O")




Listen here:



In 2001 Penguin Eggs was voted to 2nd place in the "Best Folk Album of all Time" by listeners of the Mike Harding show on BBC Radio 2. The opening track on this album, "Canadee-I-O" was also recorded by Bob Dylan and included on his 1992 album Good as I Been to You. Some critics have accused Dylan of stealing Jones' arrangements for this song without credit or offer of royalties. Others disagree, and believe the arrangements to be different. Another school of thought is that the arranger's copyright on recordings of traditional songs is little more than a legal fiction, allowing artists to receive mechanical royalty payments that would otherwise be kept by their recording labels.

Well, judge for yourself:


(c) Bob Dylan (1992)  (as "Canadee-I-O")


Listen here:


Or to a sample here:




(c) Seven Nations (1995) (as "Canadee-I-O")

Listen here:


Or here:




(c) White Stripes (2010)  (as "Canadee-I-O")

On the live album "Under Great White Northern Lights, B-Shows"


Listen here (at 11 minutes and 45 seconds in the next YT)




(c) 10.000 Maniacs (2015)  (as "Canadee-I-O")


Listen here:





Based on similarity of title, some connect this song with "Canaday-I-O"/ "Michigan-I-O"/ "Colley's Run I-O" [Laws C17].


There is no connection in plot, however, and any common lyrics are probably the result of cross-fertilization.
MacEdward Leach in his 1965 songbook "Folk Ballads and Songs of the Lower Labrador Coast" has a report though, that "Canaday-I-O" was written in 1854 by Ephraim Braley from Charleston, Maine, using "Kennady I-O"/ "Canadee-I-O" as a pattern.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten