maandag 25 maart 2013

I Believe I'll Make A Change (1932) / I Believe I'll Dust My Broom (1937) / Dust My Broom (1951)


"Dust My Broom" is a blues standard originally recorded as "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" by Robert Johnson, the Mississippi Delta blues singer and guitarist, on November 23, 1936 in San Antonio, Texas. The song was originally released on 78 rpm format as Vocalion 03475, ARC 7-04-81 and Conqueror 8871.

But the frase "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" was literally lifted from Kokomo Arnold's "Sagefield Woman Blues" (recorded in September 1934) and Kokomo Arnold's "Sissy Man Blues" recorded in January 1935.
Leroy Carr’s "I Believe I’ll Make A Change" recorded in August 1934, was also a precursor.
But already in January 1933 Jack Kelly recorded "Believe I'll Go Back Home", which is also an early version of this standard.
But the earliest variant of the "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" standard goes back to February 1932, when the Sparks Brothers (Pinetop and Lindberg) recorded it as "I Believe I’ll Make A Change".


 
Pinetop and Lindberg (Sparks): "I Believe I’ll Make A Change".
Label: Victor 23359
Matrix 71621
Recorded February 25, 1932

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Listen here:

Or here:



Jack Kelly and His South Memphis Jug Band : "Believe I'll Go Back Home"
Label: Oriole 8274 / Perfect 260
Matrix 13715
Recorded January 8, 1933


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Listen here:


 
Leroy Carr : "I Believe I’ll Make A Change".
Label: Vocalion 02820
Matrix 15645=2
Recorded August 16, 1934


  Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Listen here:



Kokomo Arnold - "Sagefield Woman Blues"
Label: Decca 7044
Recorded September 10, 1934

Listen here:


Kokomo Arnold - "Sissy Man Blues"
Label: Decca 7050
Recorded January 15, 1935

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Listen here:



"Sissy Man Blues" - George Noble
Label: Vocalion 02923B
Matrix: C911


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sissy Man - Pinewood Tom (=Josh White)
Label Conqueror 8499B
Matrix: 17083=2
Recorded March 18, 1935.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Robert Johnson - "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom"
Label: Vocalion 03475
Recorded November 23, 1936

Listen here:



Artur Crudup - "Dust My Broom"
Released on: VICTOR 50-074
Recorded March 10, 1949 in Chicago, IL;
Arthur Crudup, voc, g; Ransom Knowling, b; Judge Riley, dr



Robert Jr. Lockwood - "Dust My Broom"
Label: J.O.B.
Recording Details : Modern Recording Studio, Chicago, Illinois, United States; March 22, 1951
Robert Jr. Lockwood - guitar; Alfred Wallace - drums; Sunnyland Slim - piano
Originally released on: JUKE JOINT LP 1501  (Title: Blues Is Killing Me)



Robert Jr. Lockwood - "Dust My Broom"
Label: Mercury 8260
Recorded in Chicago on November 15, 1951
Robert Jr. Lockwood - vocal; Robert Jr. Lockwood - guitar; Big Crawford - bass; Alfred Wallace - drums; Sunnyland Slim - piano

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


In 1951 Elmore James and a few other blues musicians accompanied Sonny Boy Williamson to a recording session for Trumpet Records in Jackson, Mississippi. Trumpet was a recently established independent label that recorded blues, gospel, country, and rockabilly music.  James’s version of "Dust My Broom" was "celebrated throughout the Delta by this time, and Lillian McMurry [who ran the label] asked him to record it. He wouldn’t, but … he was tricked into rehearsing it in the studio with Sonny Boy … while McMurry surreptiously ran a tape."

James didn’t know he was making a record, and his nervousness in front of a recording microphone prevented him from recording a b-side. Trumpet put a song by another artist on the other side of the record and released it. "Dust My Broom" surprised everyone by becoming a national rhythm and blues hit in 1952.

Dust My Broom - Elmo James 
Originally released on: TRUMPET 146
Producer: Lillian McMurry
Recorded August 5, 1951 in Jackson, MS; Elmore James, voc, g; Sonny Boy Williamson, hca; Leonard Ware, b; Frock O'Dell, dr


Image and video hosting by TinyPic



The 1951 Trumpet-version was re-released in 1955 on ACE 508 (as "I Believe My Time Ain't Long")


Image and video hosting by TinyPic



And in 1965 the Trumpet-version was again re-released on Jewel 764


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


As a result of his sudden success, James was sought after by other record labels. He went to Chicago in 1952 at the behest of the Bihari brothers, who owned Modern Records, and recorded a thinly disguised version of "Dust My Broom" under the title "I Believe" for their subsidiary label, Meteor. "I Believe" also became a top ten rhythm and blues hit for James.


Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/elmore-james#ixzz2OMIN37Gb

I Believe - Elmore James 1952
Released on Meteor 5000
Recording details: November, 1952; Universal Studio, Chicago
Producer: Joe Bihari
Elmore James: vocal/guitar; J. T. Brown: tenor sax; Johnny Jones: piano; Ransom Knowling: bass; Odie Payne Jr.: drums

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Listen here:




The 1952 Meteor-version was re-released in 1969 on Kent 508


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In 1953 Elmore recorded another version of "Dust My Broom" for the Chess-label. The new title "SHE JUST WON’T DO RIGHT" was used.
This was an illicit Chess session. The offending Checker release was soon discovered by the Biharis and Chess subsequently backed off, discontinuing pressing and distribution.

January 17, 1953; Chicago 1) Elmore James: vocal/guitar; J. T. Brown: tenor sax; Johnny Jones: piano; Ransom Knowling: bass; Odie Payne Jr.: drums

SHE JUST WON’T DO RIGHT (DUST MY BROOM) - (Checker 777/Chess CH 1537)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic





And in 1955 Elmore James recorded another version of "Dust My Broom" (as "Dust My Blues")
Dust My Blues - Elmore James and His Broom Dusters 1955  
Released on: FLAIR 1074
Producer: Joe Bihari
Elmore James - vocal; Elmore James - guitar; Frank Fields - bass; Earl Palmer - drums; Edward Frank - piano
Recording Details : New Orleans, Louisiana, United States; September 1955

Image and video hosting by TinyPic




The 1955 Flair-version was re-released in 1960 on Kent 331


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


And again in 1964 on Kent 394


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Dust My Broom - Elmore James 
Originally released on: ENJOY 2027
Elmore James - vocal; Elmore James - guitar; Unknown - bass; Unknown - drums; Big Moose Walker - piano
Recording Details : New York, New York, United States; February 13, 1963


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


In the 1960's a whole bunch of British beatbands was heavily influenced by American bluesartists, like John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf and Elmore James.
"Dust My Broom / Dust My Blues" in the version of Elmore James was covered much by the Brits.


Dust My Broom - Yardbirds 1966
Keith Relf - vocal; Jimmy Page - guitar; Keith Relf - harmonica; Chris Dreja - bass; Jim McCarthy - drums
Recording Details : Saturday Club, BBC, London, United Kingdom; February 1966
Released on: REP 4777-WY
Title: The BBC Sessions



Dust My Blues - Yardbirds 1966
Jeff Beck - vocal; Jeff Beck - guitar; Jimmy Page - guitar; Keith Relf - harmonica; Paul Samwell Smith - bass; Jim McCarthy - drums
Recording Details : The Saturday Club, BBC Radio, London, United Kingdom; April 8, 1966
Title: Anyone Can Play; It's Fun
Originally released on: Kornyfone YB 1965



Dust My Blues - Spencer Davis Group 1966
Steve Winwood - vocal; Steve Winwood - guitar; Spencer Davis - guitar; Muff Winwood - bass; Pete York - drums
Recording Details : London, United Kingdom; 1966
Title: Autumn '66
Originally released on: FONTANA TL 5359


Here's the Spencer Davis Group live in 1967



Dust My Blues - John Mayall 1966



FLEETWOOD MAC
Dust My Broom - Fleetwood Mac 1968
Jeremy Spencer - vocal; Jeremy Spencer - guitar; John McVie - bass; Mick Fleetwood - drums; Jeremy Spencer - piano; David Howard - tenor sax; Roland Vaughan - tenor sax
Recording Details : CBS Studios, New Bond Street, London, United Kingdom; April 1968
Released on: BH 494641 2/2
Title: Mr. Wonderful
Originally released on: BH LP 7-63205

But before that Fleetwood Mac had recorded a version on September 9, 1967 as their very first single.
"I Believe My Time Ain't Long" - Fleetwood Mac (1967)
Label: Blue Horizon 3051
Listen here:




Dust My Broom - Rising Sons
Taj Mahal - vocal; Ry Cooder - guitar; Jesse Lee Kincaid - guitar; Taj Mahal - harmonica; Gary Marker - bass; Ed Cassidy - drums
Recording Details : Ash Grove, Los Angeles, California, United States; December 2, 1965





Dust My Broom - Ike & Tina Turner 1966
Tina Turner - vocal; Ike Turner - guitar; Unknown - bass; Unknown - drums; Ike Turner - piano; Unknown - tenor sax; Unknown - alto sax; Unknown - trumpet; Unknown - trombone; Unknown - background vocal
Recording Details : Memphis (?), Tennessee, United States; 1966
Title: Dust My Broom / I'm Hooked (Single)
Originally released on: TANGERINE 967




Dust My Broom - Canned Heat 1967
Bob Hite - vocal; Alan Wilson - vocal; Alan Wilson - guitar; Henry Vestine - guitar; Bob Hite - harmonica; Larry Taylor - bass; Frank Cook - drums
Recording Details : Liberty Studios, Los Angeles, California, United States; March 1967
Released on: SLS 50321
Title: Canned Heat
Originally released on: LIBERTY LST 7526




CUBY & THE BLIZZARDS
Dust My Blues
Cuby - vocal; Eelco Gelling - guitar; Jaap van Eik - bass; Dick Beekman - drums; Herman Brood - piano
Recording Details : Rheinhalle, Dusseldorf, Germany; October 26, 1968
Released on: PHILIPS 834 659-2 / Released on: ITL 25.115
Title: Live
Originally released on: PHIILIPS 844087




Dust My Broom - ZZ Top (1979)




For MUCH more versions:

SEE ALSO:     http://www.dustmybroom.nl/dmbalf.html

SEE ALSO: http://www.dustmybroom.nl/3665.html



NOT to be confused with

"I BELIEVE I'LL GO BACK HOME" - William and Versy Smith
Label: Paramount 12516
Matrix P4684
Recorded August 1927




Covered by: Blind Willie Davis in 1930
"I Believe I'll Go Back Home"
Label: Paramount 12979B  
Matrix L0113
Recorded January 1930


Covered by The Ovations in 1966 on the Goldwax-label (Goldwax 306
"I Believe I'll Go Back Home"



Covered by Gregg Allman in 2011 on the album "Low Country Blues"
"I Believe I'll Go Back Home"

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen