vrijdag 31 juli 2020

Minglewood Blues (1928) / New Minglewood Blues (1930) / Forty Four (1954) / Going Back To Memphis (1954) / Highway 61 (1932) / New New Minglewood Blues (1967)


"Minglewood Blues" is a blues-song, first recorded by Cannon’s Jug Stompers in 1928. Noah Lewis was a member of that band. 
Two years later, he struck out on his own with the Noah Lewis Jug Band and recorded "New Minglewood Blues"
It was this version that the Grateful Dead drew from for their rendition, hence the title "New, New Minglewood Blues"

This song is structured in the AAB blues pattern using 12 bars, a very common structure in blues music. Many Blues songs are structured using the AAB format.

The blues standard "Rollin' and Tumblin'" or "Roll and Tumble Blues", first recorded by Hambone Willie Newbern in 1929, took several elements from "Minglewood Blues".

But here are the versions and adaptations of "Minglewood Blues"

(o) Cannon's Jug Stompers (1928)  (as "Minglewood Blues")
Gus Cannon, bj, jug; Ashley Thompson, g, voc; Noah Lewis, hca
Recorded January 30, 1928 at Memphis Auditorium in Memphis, TN
Released on Victor 21267



Don't you never let one woman worry your mind (2)
Then she keep you worried, worried all the time

Don't you wish your Sarah was little and cute like mine (2)
She's a married woman but she comes to see me some time

Don't you never let your woman rule your mind (2)
She keep you troubled, worried all the time

Well I got a letter, lord, you ought to heard it read (2)
If you're coming back baby now be on your way

Listen here:




Two years later Noah Lewis then wrote a new arrangement, called "New Minglewood Blues", loosely based on the earlier "Minglewood Blues".
All the verses from the new version were borrowed from 2 earlier songs:

"Water Bound Blues" by Texas Alexander (recorded June 15, 1929)

Lyrics borrowed:

I was raised in the desert, born in a lion's den (2x)
Says, my chief occupation takin' monkey men's women

Listen here (at 2 min and 7 seconds in the YT below)





"It Won't Be Long" by Charley Patton (recorded June 14, 1929)

Lyrics borrowed:

If you ever go down Memphis, stop by Menglewood (2x)
You Memphis women don't mean no man no good


Listen here (at 34 sec in the YT below):





(c) Noah Lewis's Jug Band (1930)  (as "New Minglewood Blues")
Noah Lewis, h/v; John Estes, g; Yank Rachel, md; Ham Lewis, j.
Recorded November 26, 1930 in Memphis, TN
Released on Victor 23266



I was born in a desert, raised in a lion’s den (2x)
And my regular occupation is seeking women from other men

When you come to Memphis, please stop by Minglewood (2x)
There's women in the camp don't mean no man no good

Listen here:





In 1932 Roosevelt Sykes used the complete same verse that Noah Lewis had borrowed from Charley Patton. But his stop was not at Menglewood but at Hollywood.

(c) Roosevelt Sykes (1932)  (as "Highway 61")
Recorded September 22, 1932 in Richmond, IND
Released on Champion S-16586



If you ever been to Memphis, you stop down in Hollywood (2x)
Lord the women out there, don't mean no one man no good 

I'm leaving St Louis, I'm going out Grand Avenue (2x)
I got to go to Memphis, something over there that I want to do 

When I hit Grand, look like my troubles just begun (2x)
Lord it breaks my heart, to sing about Highway Sixty-One 

I felt so blue, while I was out on that lonely highway (2x)
I say I'm riding now, but maybe my trouble will end some sweet day 

I can stand right here, look down on Beale Avenue (2x)
I can see everything, that pretty Miss so-and-so do 

Oh listen kind mama, don't worry about your dad when I'm gone (2x)
You know I'm wild about your kind Mama, I ain't going to do nothing wrong

Listen here:



Sunnyland Slim used the AAB blues pattern for "Going Back To Memphis".

(c) Sunnyland Slim (1954)  (as "Going Back to Memphis"
Sunnyland Slim, voc, p; Snooky Pryor, hca; Eddie Taylor or Floyd Jones, g
Recorded early 1954 in Chicago, IL;
Released on Blue Lake 105




Listen here:



A few years later Sunnyland Slim used the same AAB blues pattern to cut a new song, with floating lyrics from "Going Back To Memphis".

(c) Sunnyland Slim (1957) (as "Highway 61")
Recorded in 1956 in Chicago, ILL
Released on Cobra 5006



Listen here:




Noah Lewis' "New Minglewood Blues", with the adapted lyrics, was covered by the Grateful Dead in 1967 on their first album as "New New Minglewood Blues".
The band used the collective pseudonym "McGannahan Skjellyfetti" for their group-written arrangement. 




I was born in a desert, raised in a lion's den (2x)
And my number one occupation is stealing women from their men

If you're ever in Memphis, better stop by Minglewood  (2x)
Well take a walk down town, the women sure look good 

If you can't believe me, don't make it hard to believe in you  (2x)
'Cause we all need each other, well you know it's true

I was born in a desert, raised in a lion's den (2x)
And my number one occupation is stealing women from their men

Listen here:





In 1967 the Jim Kweskin Jug Band covered "Minglewood Blues" incorporating lyrics from both "Minglewood Blues" and "New Minglewood Blues".

(c) Jim Kweskin Jug Band (1967)  (as "Minglewood")


Listen here:




In 1977 Doc & Merle Watson also covered "Minglewood Blues" incorporating lyrics from both "Minglewood Blues" and "New Minglewood Blues".

(c) Doc & Merle Watson (1977)  (as "Minglewood Blues")


Listen here:




And in 1998 John Sebastian and the J Band with Geoff Muldaur also covered "Minglewood Blues" incorporating lyrics from both "Minglewood Blues" and "New Minglewood Blues".

(c) John Sebastian and the J Band with Geoff Muldaur (1998)  (as "Minglewood Blues")


Listen here:




In 1954 Howlin Wolf  copied the AAB blues pattern and melody from "Minglewood Blues"
for his adaptation of Roosevelt Sykes' "44 Blues".


(c) The Howlin' Wolf (1954)  (as "Forty Four")
Howlin' Wolf, v, h; Otis Spann, p; Jody Williams, Hubert Sumlin, g; Willie Dixon, b; Earl Phillips, d.
Recorded in October, 1954. Chicago.
Released on Chess 1584



In 1954, when Howlin' Wolf recorded his version, "Forty Four" took on a new outlook. 
Backing Wolf, who sang and played hamonica, were Hubert Sumlin and Jody Williams (electric guitars), Otis Spann (piano), Willie Dixon (bass), and Earl Phillips (drums). 
Together they transformed "Forty Four" into a Chicago blues, with prominent guitar lines and an insistent "martial shuffle on the snare drum plus a bass drum that slammed down like an industrial punch-press". Wolf retained Sykes' handgun reference and added "Well I'm so mad this morning, I don't know where in the world to go." 

I wore my forty-four so long, I've made my shoulder sore (2x)
Well, I'm wonderin' everybody, where'd my baby go

Well, I'm so mad this mornin', I don't know where in the world to go (2x)
Well, now I'm lookin' for me some money, pawned gun to have some gold 

With Howlin' Wolf's gruff and overpowering vocal style, the overall effect was menacing.

Listen here:




(c) Rising Sons (1965)  (as ".44 Blues")
With Gary Marker, Ry Cooder & Taj Mahal;
Only released in '92. (crediting Willie Dixon)


Listen here:




(c) Captain Beefheart (1967)  (as "Sure 'Nuff 'n Yes I Do")
The Rising Sons arrangement of Howlin Wolf's "Forty Four" (HERE ABOVE) influenced Capt. Beefheart's "Sure 'Nuff 'n Yes I Do" for sure, with both Gary Marker & Ry Cooder involved in the Beefheart session. ALSO SEE: Joop's Musical Flowers: 44 Blues (1929) 
Beefheart adapted the first line ("I Was Born In The Desert") from "New Minglewood Blues" / "Water Bound Blues".  SEE: Joop's Musical Flowers: Minglewood Blues (1928) / New Minglewood Blues (1930) 


Listen here:




Several artists would copy Howlin Wolf's adaptation of "44 Blues".

Johnny Winter in 1968, Little Feat in 1971 and Robert Plant in 2012 are a few examples.



In 1972 Neil Young recorded "Are You Ready For The Country", which also has the AAB blues pattern and melody from "Minglewood Blues"

Listen here:





SEE ALSO: 




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten