vrijdag 21 augustus 2015

Lonesome Road Blues (1924) / Worried Blues (1924) / Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad (1924) / Blowin' Down This Road (1940) / Chilly Winds (1957)


Going Down The Road Feelin' Bad, also known as the Lonesome Road Blues, is an American traditional song, "a white blues of universal appeal and uncertain origin" (Ralph Rinzler, quoted on Erbsen 2003, p. 118).
Alan Lomax in the Penguin book of American Folk Songs:
This is the great folk song of the depression and New Deal period. In form and origin it is a Negro blues, but millions of Oakies, Arkies, southern "crackers", all homeless and jobless, made it the blues of the Grapes of Wrath people. It can be sung solo with guitar, it makes a good square-dance tune for fiddle, guitar and banjo; and it sounds fine with three-part harmony, hymn-style.

It was recorded by many artists through the years; the first known is Henry Whitter in 1924 as "Lonesome Road Blues". Others who made cover versions include Samantha Bumgarner (as "Worried Blues"), Cliff Carlisle (as "Down In The Jail On My Knees"), Woody Guthrie (as "Blowin' Down This Road" or "I Ain't Gonna Be Treated This Way"), Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs, Roy Hall, Elizabeth Cotten and the Grateful Dead.
It also circulated as the fiddle tune "Chilly Wind(s)", which was recorded by Wade Ward in 1925.







The song turns up on page 242 of the 1947 book Folk Song U.S.A. by John A. Lomax and Alan Lomax, edited by son Alan. It is in the key of D and the tempo is described as "moderately fast." Here are all the verses from that version: "Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad"

I'm goin' down this road feelin' bad,
Lord, I'm goin' down this road feelin' bad,
Well, I'm goin' down this road feelin' bad, Lord, Lord,
An' I ain't gonna be treated thisaway.

I ain't got but one old lousy dime,
Lord, I ain't got but one old lousy dime,
Well, I ain't got but one old lousy dime, Lord, Lord,
But I'll find me a new dollar some old day.

A two dollar shoe won't fit my feet,
Lord, a two dollar shoe won't fit my feet,
Well, a two dollar shoe won't fit my feet, Lord, Lord,
'Cause I ain't gonna be treated thisaway.

Takes a ten dollar shoe to fit my feet,
Lord, takes a ten dollar shoe to fit my feet,
Well, takes a ten dollar shoe to fit my feet, Lord, Lord,
'Cause I ain't gonna be treated thisaway.

I'm goin' where the climate suits my clothes,
Lord, I'm goin' where the climate suits my clothes,
Well, I'm goin' where the climate suits my clothes, Lord, Lord,
'Cause I ain't gonna be treated thisaway.

I'm goin' where the water tastes like wine,
Lord, I'm goin' where the water tastes like wine,
Well, I'm goin' where the water tastes like wine, Lord, Lord,
'Cause this water round here tastes like turpentine.

I'm tired of lyin' in this jail,
Lord, I'm tired of lyin' in this jail,
Well, I'm tired of lyin' in this jail, Lord, Lord,
An' I ain't gonna be treated thisaway.

Yes, they feed me on cornbread and beans,
Lord, they feed me on cornbread and beans,
Well, they feed me on cornbread and beans, Lord, Lord,
And I ain't gonna be treated thisaway

Who'll stir your gravy when I'm gone?
Lord, who'll stir your gravy when I'm gone?
Well, who'll stir your gravy when I'm gone? Lord, Lord,
When I'm gone to my long, lonesome home

Also included in the Frank C Brown Collection vol 5 (song # 441 on page 297)





First recorded by Henry Whitter in 1923

(o) Henry Whitter (1923) (as "Lonesome Road Blues")
Recorded on December 10, 1923 in New York
Released on Okeh 40015.





Lyrics
Oh I’m goin’ down this road feelin’ bad (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way

Oh I’m goin’ where the chilly wind never blows (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way.

Oh (I’m) way down in jail on my knees, (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way.

Oh they feed me on cornbread and peas (3x)
I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way.

Yes, I’m goin’ where the climate suits my clothes, (3x)
I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way

Yes I’m goin’ if I never come back, (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way.

Listen here:





(c) James Barton (1924)  (as "I'm Going Where The Climate Fits My Clothes")
Recorded May 1, 1924 in New York
Released on Okeh 40136.





Henry Whitter was also the first one to record the song with the more familiar title "Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad".

(c) Henry Whitter (1924)  ( as "Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad")
Recorded on July 16, 1924
Released on the Okeh 40169



Lyrics
Oh I’m goin’ down this road I'm feelin’ bad (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way

Oh it's one dollar won't buy me no shoes (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way

Oh a two dollar shoe hurt my feet (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way

Yes some five dollar shoe fits on me (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way

Oh and snap out your finger get your load (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way

( I couldn't figure out the sixth verse. Anyone ?)

Oh I’m goin’ down this road I'm feelin’ bad (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way

( I couldn't figure out the eigth verse either. Anyone ?)

Oh it's mama said i can't live with you (3x)
And I think by myself for the way you do

Listen here:




"Worried Blues" is a song that is very closely connected to "Lonesome Road Blues" / "Going Down The Road Feeling Bad".


Samantha Bumgarner was the first one to record that variation

(o) Samantha Bumgarner (1924) (as "Worried Blues")
Samantha Bumgarner, voc, bj
Recorded April 23, 1924 in New York
Released on Columbia 166-D


Lyrics
Got the worried blues (x3)
Can't be worried this a-way.

See you when your troubles are like mine (x3)
See you when you can't change a dime

Got the worried blues (x3)
Can't be worried this a-way

Bound down in the jail (x3)
No one to go my bail 

Honey babe would you [or "won't you"] go my bail (x3)
Can't be worried this a-way 

Goin' down this long lonesome road (x3)
Can't be worried this a-way 

Honey babe, don't leave me here (x3)
Unless you leave a dime for beer

Got the worried blues (x3)
Can't be worried this a-way

Goin' down this long lonesome road (x3)
Can't be worried this a-way

Goin' down this long lonesome road (x3)
Can't be worried this a-way

Listen here:




On September 1, 1925 in Asheville, NC. renowned banjo player Wade Ward recorded this traditional as a clawhammer banjo instrumental for the Okeh-label.
His version was titled "Chilly Wind" (after one verse from "Lonesome Road Blues")
Ward's 1925 version was never released.



In 1939 he re-recorded the song under supervision of Alan Lomax and Pete Seeger and this ended up on a 1942 release:



Listen here:



Listen here to a version from 1958 by Wade Ward:





(c) Hill Billies (1926) (as "Goin Down The Road Feeling Bad")
Tony Alderman, f; Fred Roe, f; Charles Bowman, bj; Al Hopkins, p/v; Joe Hopkins, g/v; Henry Roe, g; John Hopkins, u/v.
Recorded on October 23, 1926 in New York
Released on Vocalion 5021



Lyrics
Goin' down this road feelin' bad, (3x)
And I ain't gonna be treated this-away

Way down in jail on my knees, (3x)
And I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way.

Feed me on cornbread and peas (3x)
I ain’t gonna be treated this a-way

Mama won't find me no cure ? (3x)
And I ain't gonna be treated this-away.

Goin' down this road feelin' bad, (3x)
And I ain't gonna be treated this-away.

Listen here:




(c) Frank Hutchison (1927)  (as "Worried Blues") the familiar melody, with his own lyrics.
Hutchison recorded the song twice:
once on September 28, 1926, at his first recording session,
Released on Okeh 45064




Listen here:



or here:


Hutchison re-recorded the song on April 29, 1927, released on Okeh 45114



Listen here:



or here:




(c) Fiddlin John Carson (1929)  (as "You Can't Get Milk From A Cow Named Ben")
Recorded March 16, 1929 in Atlanta, GA
Released on Okeh 45321


Listen here: last instrumental part of the song at 2 minutes and 2 sec





(c) Fiddlin John Carson and Moonshine Kate (1929)
(as "Down South Where The Sugar Cane Grows")
Recorded March 16, 1929 in Atlanta, GA
Released on Okeh 45338



Lyrics
Going where the Sugar cane grows (3x)
And I ain't got no trouble at my knees.

Going where the climate suits my clothes (3x)
And I ain't got no trouble at my knees.

Etc, Etc

Listen here:





Fiddlin John Carson and his Virginia Reelers also recorded this song as an instrumental

(c) Fiddlin'  John Carson and His Virginia Reelers (1930)
(as "Goin' Where The Climate Suits My Clothes")
Recorded April 24, 1930 in Atlanta, GA
Released on Okeh 45498




Listen here:




Cliff Carlisle recorded 2 versions of this songcluster:

(c) Cliff Carlisle (1930) (as "Down In The Jail House On My Knees")
Recorded February, 25, 1930 in Richmond, IND
Released on Gennett 7153 and Champion 15969



Listen here:



(c) Cliff Carlisle (1933) (as "Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad")
Recorded July 28, 1933 in New York
Released on various labels such as Conqueror, Panachord and Oriole



Listen here:




(c) Riley Puckett (1934) (as "K. C. Railroad")
Recorded March 30, 1934 in San Antonio, Texas
Released on Bluebird 5471 and Montgomery Ward 4508





Listen here:




In 1940 the song "Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad" is sung by Eddie Quillan, in his character of Conny Rivers, in a nighttime scene at a labor camp, in the movie "Grapes Of Wrath" (1940).

SEE THE SCENE HERE (at 39 min and 46 seconds in the next film)


The song seems to be tailormade for Woody Guthrie, so shortly after the "Grapes of Wrath" premiered, Woody also recorded a version of the song.


(c) Woody Guthrie (1940) (as "Goin’ Down The Road Feelin’ Bad")
Woody Guthrie, vocal and guitar.
Recorded by Alan Lomax at the Department of the Interior radio facility in Washington, D.C., on March 22, 1940.

Woody Guthrie introduced the song this way:
Well, one of the most popular, uh, Alan, was the one that they chose for the Grapes of Wrath picture. “I’m Going Down that Road Feelin’ Bad.” That’s got two or three names. A lot of people call it the “Lonesome Road Blues.” Others call it “Goin’ Down the Road Feelin’ Bad.” It’s got all kinds of names. Anyway, in the picture, they, they sing it pretty classical. I don’t know whether the Okies and the hobos will recognize it or not but then I’m not worried about that because I don’t think that they’ll be spendin’ a quarter to get to see a bunch of grapes or stuff…I don’t know whatever the devil that means, “grapes of wrath.”
Here’s the ole song. It was wrote, uh, by, uh, a colored slave that run off from his master and went back up North. He was a Southern slave and he run up North and it was pretty cold up there. So, uh, he worked ‘round up there a little bit and stayed in jails and everythin’ and was treated like a dog, and so awful cold up North and so he wrote this song or got it started:

Listen here:



(c) Woody Guthrie (1940) (as "Blowin' Down the Road")
Sometime later in 1940 Woody recorded his own adaptation of the song for the RCA Victor label.
RCA asked Woody to record 12 Dust Bowl Ballads to respond to the enormous success of the Grapes Of Wrath book and film.
Using only guitar and vocals, the album follows the exodus of Midwesterners headed for California and mirrors both Guthrie’s own life and John Steinbeck’s novel The Grapes of Wrath.

Woody Guthrie, v; acc. own h/g.
Recorded April 26, 1940 in New York
Released on Victor 26619


Also released as part of the Dust Bowl Ballads-album



Listen here:




(c) Almanac Singers (1942)  (as "Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad")
Woody Guthrie: harmonica and vocals / Pete Seeger: banjo
January 1942 "Home Disc Recordings" made by the Almanac Singers in New York
Accessioned by the Library Of Congress in February 1942 on glass-base records
Tape copy on LWO 3493 / reel 41A /  Matrix 6105A
Unissued till now





(c) Weavers (1957)  (as "Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad")
Unissued version by the Weavers from the Pete Seeger era.
Finally released in 2003 on the Vanguard album "Rarities From The Vanguard Vault"


Listen here:




(c) Hally Wood (1956)  (as "Worried Blues")
Released on her album "Hally Wood Sings Texas Folk Songs" (Stinson SLP 73)
On the liner-notes of her album, credits go to Samantha Bumgarner (see earlier on in this post)






Or here: 




(c) Odetta (1957)  (as "Chilly Winds")



Listen here:




(c) Elizabeth Cotten (1958) (as "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad")



Listen here:




(c) Nina Simone (1959) (as "Chilly Winds Don't Blow")


Listen here:




(c) Cisco Houston (1960) (as "Chilly Winds")


On the album "Cisco Special" (Vanguard: VRS 9057)


Listen here:





(c) Jack Burchett (1961)  (as "Chilly winds")
Jack Burchett (vocal and banjo)
Recorded July 1961 in Saltville, Virginia.
Released on the next album:


Read linernotes here: SFW40029.pdf

Listen here:




(c) Bob Dylan (1962) (as "Worried Blues")
Recorded Jul 9, 1962 during the Freewheelin' sessions
Released on The Bootleg Series 1-3 (1991)

According to the next site Bob had learned it from Hally Wood, who had learned it from Samantha Bumgarner (according to the liner-notes on her album "Hally Wood Sings Texas Folk Songs" (Stinson SLP 73)




Lyrics
I got those worried blues (4x)
Lord, I'm a-going where I never been before.

I'm going where the chilly winds don't blow (4x)
I'm going where the climate suits my clothes.

Honey babe don't leave me now (4x)
I got trouble in my mind.

Listen to that cold whistle blow (4x)
I'm going where I'm never been before.

So I got those worries blues, lord (4x)
I'm a-going where I never been before.

Listen here:





It is also one of the Dylan/Band Basement Tapes songs -
(as "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" or "No Shoes On My Feet").



Listen here:




The song was part of a medley on the 1970 Delaney & Bonnie album "To Bonnie From Delaney"


Listen here (at 2 min and 25 sec in the YT below) :



The track also appears on the 1971 Delaney & Bonnie album Motel Shot 

(c) Delaney & Bonnie (1971) (as "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad")


Listen here:




This song became a concert staple for the Grateful Dead, and Jerry Garcia related that he picked it up from Delaney Bramlett of Delaney and Bonnie during the Dead’s trans-Canada rock ‘n’ roll train trip in 1970, beautifully captured in the "Festival Express" movie.




Garcia and Bramlett can be seen jamming on the tune, with Janis Joplin singing along with Bramlett, in the movie Festival Express.



Subsequently the song appeared as a medley on Grateful Dead’s so-called “Skull & Roses” album ( the 1971 live double LP "Grateful Dead".)





Listen here (at about 5 min in the YT below) :


Grateful Dead's version may be influenced by Woody Guthrie, as well as other renditions by Bill Monroe (1960), Elizabeth Cotton (1958), and Cliff Carlisle (1933).



(c) Bruce Springsteen (as "Blowin' Down The Road")

In 1993 and 1996 Bruce Sprigsteen sang the Woody Guthrie-adaptation of the song on a few gigs


Listen here:




(c) U2 (2011)   (as "Worried Blues")

And in May 2011 U2 sang it on a few gigs.


Listen here:





(c) John Mayer (2013)  (as "Going Down The Road Feeling Bad")

And in 2013 John Mayer sang it live in the David Letterman Show. His version was inspired by the version of the Grateful Dead.



Plans even are John Mayer might join the remaining Dead members on a Halloween-show at New York's Madison Square Garden. For the occasion the bandname will be dubbed Dead & Company.






The tune was also used in other traditional songs:

-"New River Train" also recorded by Henry Whitter in 1924




-"I Wish I Was A Mole In The Ground" first recorded by Bascom Lamar Lunsford in 1924




-"Roll On Buddy" recorded by Charlie Bowman (1928)
  (besides the tune there are floating lyrics from "I Wish I Was A Mole In The Ground")





-"My Last Gold Dollar" - Bascom Lamar Lunsford (who had learned it from Samantha Bumgarner and Moonshine Kate)


Listen here:






Different songs with similar titles:

In 1925 Papa Charlie Jackson recorded the song "I'm Going Where the Chilly Winds Don't Blow"
This is another song

Listen here:




In 1931 Sam Collins recorded a song called "Lonesome Road Blues (I'm Goin' Down That Lonesome Road)"
This is also another song.

Listen here:






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten